Fact Check: No, the COAS Did Not Announce Mandatory Military Service for Youths

A message currently circulating on WhatsApp claims that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) of Nigeria announced a plan to make military service compulsory for all Nigerians aged 18 and above if they refused to join voluntarily.  The post also alleges that the 10,000 recruits enlisted last year are “nowhere to be found.”  The same…

Read More

Fact Check: No, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe Did Not Urge Igbos to “Arm Themselves”

A post circulating on Facebook, shared by a user known as Celebrity Blogger, claims that Nigerian senator Enyinnaya Abaribe allegedly aksed Igbo people across Nigeria to “arm yourselves with courage… because what is coming may be more dangerous than what we saw during the Biafra War.” As at the time of verification, the post had…

Read More

False!! No Assassination Attempt On Justice James Omotosho

On Sunday, November 23 2025, a post claiming that Justice James Omotosho survived an assassination attempt surfaced on social media sparking huge controversy. The Claim The claim, shared by Progressive Nigerian Politics, a Facebook page with 115k followers read: “BREAKING: Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja has reportedly survived an assassination…

Read More

No! The Federal Government Did Not Convert CDCFIB Applicants Into Military Personnel

Claim: A Hausa news blog, Alfijir News, claims that the Federal Government has announced that all CDCFIB applicants will be converted to military personnel.”   Full Text Amidst insecurity concerns in Nigeria, given the recent kidnappings and terrorist attacks, a Hausa blog, Alfijir News, published on Facebook, stated that the federal government had announced that…

Read More

Did Atiku Gift Lt. Yerima Brand-New Toyota SUV?

On Thursday, November 13 2025, reports claiming that a former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, rewarded Lieutenant Ahmed Yerima, the naval officer involved in a recent altercation with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, with a brand-new Toyota SUV surfaced online. Before anyone could say the word ‘misinformation’, this claim spread like wildfire,…

Read More

Fact-Check: Did President Donald Trump Cancel Meeting With President Bola Tinubu

There was a claim on the Igbo Times Magazine’s Facebook page that President Donald Trump (USA) had cancelled an earlier scheduled summit with President Bola Tinubu. The claim described President Tinubu as “a president not constitutionally elected by his people” The post surfaced on November 7, 2025, at about 7:43 pm, on a Facebook page…

Read More

Fact Check: Did Tinubu Government Say Nigeria Needs $150billion To Fund Vaccine Procurement For 2026?

Claim A post shared on X by Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) at 8:09 a.m. on Friday claimed that the Tinubu administration said Nigeria needed $150 billion to fund vaccine procurement for 2026.   The post read: “Tinubu Government Says Nigeria Needs $150billion To Fund Vaccine Procurement For 2026.” Verification   Findings from multiple credible Nigerian news…

Read More

Did Tinubu Government Gift Governors, Senators, Rep Members N250b, N1b, and N500m For Defection?

On Friday, November 7, 2025, a post claiming that the government of President Bola Tinubu gifted ₦250 billion, ₦1 billion, and ₦500 million to Governors, Senators, and Rep members respectively, emerged sparking confusion and controversy among Nigerians. A screenshot of the post The Claim The post was first published by SaharaReporters. However, in no time,…

Read More

AI-generated image used to depict APC candidate won Anambra election

Screenshot of the image on Facebook Claim: A Facebook post claims that APC’s candidate, Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu, has been declared the newly elected governor of Anambra State. Full Text Anambra State electorate went to the polls to elect a new governor for the state today, November 8, 2025. The top political parties and their candidates…

Read More

Phishing Scam Recycled As FG’s Family Support Scheme

Screenshot of the claim on WhatsApp.   Claim: A WhatsApp message claims that the federal government has opened a “National Family Support Scheme” offering ₦185,000 to Nigerians. Full Text   A message circulating on WhatsApp claims that registration for the Nigerian Federal Government’s “National Family Support Scheme”.   The post claims that President Bola Tinubu…

Read More